Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Blessings of Giving To The Poor

The Blessings of Giving To The Poor

As a medical professional, I have long realized that studying and learning do not stop on graduation day upon receiving my diploma from med school. Upon receiving my license to be a physician, there is a need to keep me (as well as all other doctors) updated with new discoveries and trends in the field of medicine.

Even as a Christian believer, there is always a need to constantly learn and rediscover many of the Christian principles from God’s word. Whether the copy you may have is a KJV Bible, or a large print Bible, the teachings are all the same.

For quite a time, I knew quite well that “it is more blessed to give than to receive.” I would admit that sometimes I even question – how does that happen? So, I may be just like everybody else – I have unanswered questions too! But let me tell you this, I know my God will provide me the answers. It may not be immediately, but the answer comes as time goes by.

Last night, while relaxing by watching the television, I happened to turn on a religious program that was discussing about the recent earthquake in Haiti which had claimed thousands of lives. I was stricken by the text the speaker quoted – Proverbs 19:17 – “He who has pity on the poor gives to the Lord, and the Lord will give him his reward.”

Isn’t that amazing? Isn’t that very clear? If you help the poor, you will also be rewarded. Wow! Finally, here’s an answer to a long time puzzling question of mine. No wonder, it is more blessed to give than to receive. As a result, I further searched for another related texts, and here’s one.

Proverbs 28:27 – “He who gives to the poor will never want, but he who shuts his eyes will have many curses.” Would you love to receive blessing abundantly in your life? Of course! And would you agree with me that nobody wants a curse?

What wonderful promises from the word of God! By helping the needy, you will also be richly rewarded. But let’s pause for a moment. Rewards from the Lord do not always come in monetary form or material blessings alone. It can also come richly in the form of happiness, peaceful life, more friends, good health, fame, spiritual blessings and in many other ways than what the human thought could comprehend.

“He who gives to the poor will never want….” By giving help to the poor, you will not find yourself lacking in your needs! Please take note, I am not the author of Proverbs 28:27. Explaining the text in simple terms is not enough, it takes one to believe the truth of this promise by practicing such teaching.

Lastly, I remember what Jesus himself said in the New Testament, “Whatever ye do to the least of these my breathren, ye do it also unto Me.”
----------------------------------------------------
Copyright by VMT Singuillo
VMT Singuillo is a freelance writer. Some of his subjects include baby blanket, baby bedding sets for boys, baby beanie hat, and more.

No comments: